Canada eManifest House BL filing requirement took effect on November 7th, 2016
Forwarders/NVOCC’s importing cargo into Canada must comply with a new electronic House BL filing requirement. We are currently in the second phase of Canada Border Services Agency's (CBSA) implementation schedule:
November 7, 2016 to January 10, 2017 - Initial Transition period.
January 11, 2017 to June 30, 2018 - Initial enforcement with notices sent to filing parties, but no penalties will be issued. During this period, parties are compliant by filing either eManifest or ACI.
July 1, 2018 - Final enforcement period where penalties will be issued for non-compliance.
Trade Tech has launched a comprehensive eManifest filing solution to help forwarders comply with the recently published requirement by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). Under the eHBL program, advance secondary (manifest) data must be transmitted by Freight Forwarders/NVOCC’s for cargo imported into, or moving in-transit through Canada.
The general requirements are as follows:
Freight Forwarders/NVOCC’s will be required to transmit within the current 24HR Advance Manifesting time frames:
- Advance House Bill data must be electronically transmitted to CBSA using the eHBL data set for import, in-bond and in-transit shipments.
- Supplementary Cargo Data (ACI) must be electronically transmitted to CBSA using the Supplementary Cargo Report for all FROB cargo.
- Freight Forwarders/NVOCC’s will be required to transmit the "House BL Close message set" to CBSA to indicate all eHBLs have been transmitted to CBSA.
- Freight Forwarders/NVOCC’s must obtain a CBSA issued 8000 series carrier code (a four character code that begins with an 8).
- Freight Forwarders/NVOCC’s moving consolidated cargo must indicate on the Shipment Instructions given to their carrier at origin that the shipment is ‘Consolidated’.
- A Freight Forwarder/NVOCC can operate in Canada as a Bonded or non-Bonded Freight Forwarder.
- Freight Forwarders/NVOCC’s can transmit advance House Bill data using Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) by using a 3rd party service provider such as Trade Tech.
Please contact your local Trade Tech representative to make arrangements to file eManifest through Trade Tech and to manage all eManifest matters on your behalf.